- « Jobs
- Complex Systems Engineer
- The road transportation industry has been stuck in the same way of doing things for the past 30 years, with complex over-the-phone transactions that could be sped up and more efficient using the right technology. Figuring our product out and getting users to switch is a tough challenge and we want your insights and experience.
- Every one of us has had several start-up experiences and on average we have 10+ years of experience in somehow similar challenges. We know success, we know failure; we've built platforms from scratch, we've dealt with large legacy systems. We care about each other and about the product we're building.
- Some of the past projects where our engineers have been involved before joining OnTruck are: building the billing system for one of the largest telephony operators in Spain, building up and optimising complex marketplaces handling millions of orders a month, building real time video chats, building a global oauth/identity provider, improving the garbage collector of the JVM, creating social network libraries even before Facebook existed, building the Eurofighter simulator used to train pilots, building kernel modules to deal with real-time processor allocation, creating NLP algorithms to score user comments and timeline recommendation algorithms, building software to manage a backbone network, building the mobile apps of tier 1 banks, building mobile e-readers for millions for users, integrating mobile apps with Arduinos and dealing with the logistic platform of a big supermarket chain.
- Investors like our concept and team and we've been quite successful in fundraising and gathering resources to support our future growth.
The engineering culture
- We value speed of iteration and best practices and we care about our craft: both our API and key components have 100% test coverage, for instance.
- We get engineers as close to the business problems as possible, so everybody is involved in solution design. We have mechanisms to enable anybody in the company to bring their new ideas to decision makers since we believe that innovative ideas come from everywhere.
- We have a decoupled architecture, based on REST APIs and asynchronous services. We work with React in the frontend platforms (customers and admin), native in mobile apps (truck drivers), Python/Django in the transactional backend and Elixir for real-time functional needs. Our DB is PostgreSQL and the queues run on RabbitMQ.
- We use a dedicated ERP (Odoo) to avoid reinventing the wheel there and we also have built a DWH/Analytics platform which takes advantage of external solutions.
What we offer
- An office in the former Palacio Miraflores in the center of Madrid.
- A laid-back culture where everybody is encouraged to participate in discussions and contribute.
- Opportunities for personal growth and learning (we hold regular tech talks and encourage working on different parts of the platform).
- Good salaries and stock options packages. We want our engineers to have ownership and participate in company success.
- Flexible schedule (though no regular remote working since we believe in face-to-face communication).
published: Sept. 4, 2017
Apply for this position