LabGenius’ mission is to build a closed-loop platform for the evolution of new biological components. Since the advent of life 3.8 billion years ago, the survival of all species has depended on rapid innovation at the genetic level. At LabGenius, were harnessing evolution to develop a new generation of biological products in partnership with world-leading multinationals.
LabGenius is a venture-backed startup founded by Dr James Field in 2012. Our investors include leading venture capitalists and angel investors from the US and Europe.
About the role
We’re looking for a data scientist to implement a number of machine learning methodologies to analyse the large datasets generated through automated empirical testing. As a part of our platform team, you will work closely with our CSO, along with synthetic biologists, automation engineers, and data engineers to deliver robust machine learning workflows that uncover insights from sequence-function datasets.
- Establish robust workflows and processes for applying various machine learning algorithms to empirical datasets.
- Uncover insights from very large sequence-function datasets, which will eventually scale up to the petabyte range.
- Generate sequence libraries with the insight and guidance acquired from deep learning algorithms.
- You have extensive experience with machine learning. Ideally, you have a Ph.D., or 3+ years industry experience equivalent in depth and rigour, in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Statistics, or related fields.
- You have strong analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- You have experience using R and Python.
- Some background knowledge of biotechnology/molecular biology is preferred.
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator and are able to convey your ideas clearly to a multi-disciplinary team.
- You have both a strong attention to detail and an ability to see the wider picture and to focus your efforts where they are most needed.
- You are excited and motivated by challenging and multifaceted problems.
- You are flexible, a fast learner, and are happy to apply yourself to different areas of the company when needed.
Why join us?
- Join us on our mission to change the way that biology is engineered.
- Have the freedom to suggest and implement your own ideas, not only in your area, but across the whole company.
- Join a growing team of talented engineers and scientists who you can learn from, in a company where employee engagement is a priority.
- Competitive salary (£45-65k) and share in the value that you create through stock options.
Diversity makes for innovative teams. LabGenius is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate based on gender, race, colour, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
22nd February 2018 (hiring on a rolling basis so advised to submit as soon as possible)