Who We Are
New Vector is the open source software development startup which employs the core team behind Matrix.org – the leading project for secure open decentralised communication. Matrix’s mission is to create a universal open network where apps like WhatsApp or Slack can talk together. We build our own apps like Riot.im and provide hosted Matrix services as well as contributing to the core Matrix open source ecosystem.
New Vector spun-out of a multinational corporation last year, raised $5 million in a private round in January 2018 and spent the first half of the year doubling in size. The company now employs 24 people, mostly directly in our UK or French entities, or via payrolls in Canada and Germany.
Between the challenges of funding an open-source project, making revenue from worldwide customers ranging from individuals and SMEs to governments and multinationals, and the decentralised nature of the team, we provide an unusually complex environment for a company our size, with exciting opportunities to learn and grow.
Our products are for everyone and we know we cannot succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be humane and give candidates the best possible chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
We’re looking for a Financial Controller to bootstrap the finance function which will keep the business operating smoothly across our various entities and more importantly, take it to the next level as we roll out additional revenue making services and head towards profitability.
We want our finance strategy to be more than a support to the business, we want it to be part of our success, and as such you will report to and work closely with the Head of Operations on every aspect of budget and accounting, and more specifically:
- Oversee day to day company financial operations across both our UK and French entities, including:
- Bookkeeping, billing, payroll, pension scheme...
- Accounts consolidation between both entities
- Suggest updates and improvements for financial systems and processes, including payroll and invoicing
- Supervise and work with our external accountants and tax advisors to ensure proper compliance with all regulations, legislations
- Support the production of the budget and financial forecasts and reports for the whole company (UK + FR)
- Support the development of budgets and financial plans for the company
- Review all financial plans and budgets regularly to look for cost reduction opportunities, especially on international transactions and tools
- Support the production of reports for the management team by providing timely and accurate financial information
New Vector is growing rapidly, and we would expect this role to grow as the company does. For the right candidate, our intention is to build our finance function around them.
- You have ~3 years of experience ideally gained in a Big Four accountancy firms
- You are eager to work in an international environment, ideally having international work experience already
- You are a qualified accountant (CIMA or ACCA preferred)
- You have working knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- You’re excited to advocate for financial optimisation and cost effectiveness, whilst not losing sight of pragmatism and common sense
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset: hands-on, autonomous, enthusiastic and with initiative
- You are curious and naturally think strategically, possessing strong analytical skills to help steer the financial strategy to strongly supports the business’s strategies
- You have solid written and verbal communication skills
- You’re tech savvy and happy to get away from legacy tools
- You thrive in a startup environment and are eager to expand this scope of work
Nice to haves
- Fluency in French and knowledge of the French system would be a plus
- Experience working with Xero
- Experience in producing monthly management finance reports and in collaborating with external accountancy firms would be a plus
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us:
- A salary of £50,000 - £60,000 + equity, based on experience.
- Pension, health, dental and travel insurance
- Family friendly environment: many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this a sign that we have a cohesive supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term
- A company working (almost) full time on open-source projects means high visibility and a large enthusiastic community
- Free good coffee!
- We like food a lot, we have some excellent chefs on the team, and Chiswick has some great places for lunch. You will eat well :)
New Vector does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.