Hello we’re Farewill. We build simple, beautiful products to change the way the world deals with death.
We’ve grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and Trustpilot’s favourite) will-writer in the UK within 24 months of launching - building a tight-knit, multidisciplinary team of 25 along the way.
Weve got thousands of happy customers - acquired so far via partners like Cancer Research UK and Macmillan. Our goal in 2019 is to launch and scale our Direct to Consumer brand, and you’ll be an early and highly influential part of that. We’re doing a TV campaign in May, about to start testing a lot of national print and digital ads and much more, fresh from our impressive latest funding round.
This is an unusual and really exciting opportunity for a seasoned creative, who is still 100% a doer, to join a small team, shape an upcoming household name and create a brand from scratch. If this excites you, read on! This is initially for an 8 week contract, 3 days a week, with the possibility to extend or go permanent at the end, immediate start.
You’re an experienced startup graphic designer...
- Well-versed in concepting, creating and artworking all types of marketing comms
- Used to being the only designer in the business, managing both your creative work and workflow
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, being hands-on and getting things done
- Attracted to our illustrated ‘squiggles’ as we fondly call them, and full of ideas and the skills to develop them into amazing new areas
- Hard working and resilient, with a stubborn determination to succeed
- Collaborative and good at asking for and taking feedback - we’re a small company with a strong team-game feel
- You’re in it to build our brand effectively, so love testing, always want to know the results, and know how to take data on creative and use it to re-brief yourself
Over the next 8 weeks, you’ll concept, design and artwork:
- Full page print ads for newspapers and glossy magazines
- Inserts to go in a variety of publications
- Direct mail - testing different creative
- A lot of Facebook ads with different kinds of image and concept as we scale our testing
- Help refresh our email flow following customer sign up and making it perform better
- Work on our first wave of refreshed social organic content
- Please note this isn’t a UX or Product design role, we’ve got two great teams on that already, but experience of how to work with those teams is important
- Minute to minute you’ll be working directly with our Head of Brand and Copywriter, with regular sharing of your work with our performance marketeers, CEO and whole team
Hopefully you’ll have some or all of the following:
- Proven experience of being a solo graphic designer in a startup environment, delivering high quality work at a serious pace
- Great examples to show us of several pieces of print, digital ads and emails
- Stats on and able to talk about the testing and iteration process for most of the examples you show
- Strong knowledge of marketing design best practice to get things to convert really well
- Good illustration skills that show an affinity with our ‘Squiggles’ style
- Have taken a basic visual identity and developed it using customer insight and testing into something really compelling and consistent across every marketing channel
- Confident and articulate, you can constructively and warmly justify your choices to the CEO, team or at a company meeting - and know how to work with our UX and Product Designers
- Excellent at juggling multiple briefs at once, managing your own workload, setting up briefing and review meetings and hitting deadlines without being chased
- You’ll need to know Adobe and Mailchimp inside out, and ideally be familiar with Mandrill and Facebook Business Manager
Bonus points for:
- Having worked with a startup whilst they were doing TV advertising to make the most of that content visually and consistently across all other channels
- Knowing After Effects or other video editing software
- Be part of a funded and growing startup that everyone’s talking about, redefining the death industry
- Get to say you did our ‘first’ lots of things!
- Concept as well as execute creative
- Work alongside other friendly, passionate and talented people
- Lovely, spacious, bright office in Haggerston - you’d need to mostly be in our office, but occasional remote working is fine by us
- Regular team lunches
- Flexible start and end to your day
Our hiring process - application and interview process
*Just a reminder that this ad is initially for an 8 week contract, 3 days a week, with the possibility to extend or go permanent at the end, immediate start.*
Inviting someone to join our team is a big deal for us!
1. Apply via the button below. You’ll be able to upload your CV there, and remember to include an intro message with maximum 150 words on why this role is perfect for you, plus attach your best example of design for one thing each of - print, Facebook ad and a triggered email. Please include stats and how you iterated the creative to make it perform if you have this.
2. We’ll invite you for a 30 minute phone call or coffee to learn more about your goals and experience. You’ll also be able to ask questions about Farewill and the role.
3. We’ll then give you an exercise that’s relevant to the role, and if that goes well, run a more detailed interview in person to hear more about you and your experience.
If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.
Our hiring process - diversity monitoring questions
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company. This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and monitoring how our company is representing different groups of people through our hiring process.