At Elliptic we believe cryptocurrency will play a huge role in the future of value transfer, and we care deeply about helping to build this future. In order for cryptocurrency to flourish, it’s important to prevent criminal abuse of the technology. Elliptic is the global leader in detecting, preventing, and pursuing criminal activity in cryptocurrencies. Our clients include the world’s leading cryptocurrency exchanges, financial institutions and government agencies.
Our unique platform gives us an unparalleled understanding of cryptocurrency capital flows, using a combination of network science and machine learning to aggregate and interpret vast quantities of transaction data. We provide anti-money laundering (AML) compliance software and investigative services to the leading participants in the cryptocurrency ecosystem. Customers rely on us to analyse more than $150bn of their transactions every month, and include cryptocurrency businesses, major financial institutions, and federal government agencies.
The company has offices in London, UK, New York, NY, and Arlington, VA. We are backed by Octopus Ventures, SignalFire, Paladin Capital, Santander InnoVentures, and Digital Currency Group.
Elliptic is looking for an ambitious, passionate, technology leader with proven managerial experience to scale-up our cloud-based, crypto-currency data analytics platform. As our Head of Data Engineering, we expect you to have both strong technical and architectural experience and a proven passion for developing high-performing teams.
You will coordinate the design and development of our core production systems, utilising resources in-house, third party and potentially offshore, whilst building a positive team culture where you are supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people.
We leverage open source, third party commercial products and our own high-performance in-memory data pipelines and analytics engines, all delivered on cloud platforms. We expect you to lead the evolution of Elliptic’s data platform with an open mind and using best-in-class technology solutions.
You’ll report into the VP Engineering and work with existing devops, data science and web development teams and along side product managers and the senior leadership.
What you’ll do
- Creating large scale, high performance crypto-currency data analytic services
- Immersing yourself in high performance blockchain technology
- Building high throughput data lakes and data pipelines using best in class technology
- Using the latest graph databases and other specialist data storage and processing techniques
- Supporting your teams to improve our Agile development processes
- Supporting Elliptic’s data science operation and working with the Head of Data
- Working with the senior technical team to coordinate and implement architectural and technical roadmaps
- Leading technical research, prototyping, and recommending new technologies and frameworks
- Leading and developing a team of engineers - hiring, on-boarding, mentoring, career development, and performance management
- Maintain the highest standards of software engineering
- 8+ years industry experience with enterprise software product development
- 3+ years management experience with multiple software development teams
- Proven experience with data platforms, data pipelines and relevant technologies
- Experience deploying to cloud infrastructure
- A passion for developing and mentoring software development teams
- Experience of setting and measuring objectives, KPIs and performance metrics.
- Troubleshooting skills and experience of handling curve-ball events
- Rigour in engineering best-practices
- A fast learner with enthusiasm for learning and applying tech appropriately
- Been actively involved in working in an Agile environment and with product managers to set priorities
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
Bonus points for
- Experience of batch or real-time data platforms and big data technologies built with Scala, Spark, Java, functional programming, etc.
- Experience with DevOps, CI/CD tools and processes, Kubernetes, Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience with graph databases, e.g. Neo4j
- Experience of working alongside data scientists and with data models.
- Working with suppliers, contractors and developing technical partnerships
- Creating and developing offshore teams
- Experience of budget planning and management
- Interest in cryptocurrencies and an appetite for discussions about economics, money, identity and privacy
- Competitive salary
- Share options in a fast growing, world-leading business
- Private health insurance
- Work pension scheme
- Shiny laptop and multiple monitors
- Budget for training materials, events, and conferences
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment with options for remote working
- Quarterly full day offsites
- Annual company 3 day offsite
- An awesome team of developers and data scientists to work with
- Coffee and beer!
- Being part of a business with a purpose, and the opportunity to work with a passionate team of mission-driven people who’ll stretch and challenge you
Elliptic is not a traditional financial services firm. We pride ourselves on having a laid-back and friendly ethos, while still expecting great things from our team. Fascinating work is the norm - working at Elliptic is never boring!
No recruitment agencies!