Our mission is to help software businesses succeed - enabling them to focus on creating products the world loves. Hundreds of developers and software companies rely on our checkout, payments and licensing solution to sell their products globally, as well as using our powerful analytics and marketing tools to understand and grow their businesses.
We’re scaling really fast - well over 200% per year since launching in 2012 - and were named fastest growing software company in the UK by Deloitte Fast 50. In December 2017 we closed a $12.5m Series B funding round from Notion, BGF Ventures and Kindred Capital. We are a diverse team of 40 people (and counting) based near London Bridge, passionate about helping software businesses succeed.
We are looking for a highly commercial lawyer to join Paddle as Head of Legal, Risk & Compliance, reporting to our CEO. You will take responsibility for a number of legal areas - from negotiating contracts to planning for and enabling our expansion into new geographies. You will also head up our efforts in Risk & Compliance with the primary mission of minimising fraud risk at both ends of our platform and ensuring Compliance with regulations (GDPR and PCI). Success in the role will be having instilled a culture of Compliance across the organisation and achieved buy-in from all teams.
- Undertake a broad variety of corporate work including: negotiating contracts with customers and suppliers, helping safeguard our Intellectual Property, managing our employment related legals and assistance with other documentation (fundraising, M&A, leases etc.)
- Ensure company policies and the group’s website T&Cs and privacy policies are kept up to date
- Assist in the international expansion of Paddle by supporting the establishment of newly opened offices abroad and the integration of new entities and products
- Design and implement our Risk & Compliance strategy including building out a team
- Keep up-to-date with current and future regulatory changes that affect the business (KYC, AML, PCI & GDPR)
- Supporting every team across the business and providing effective, reliable, jargon-free advice on legal issues and risks
- We are aware that it’s unlikely that you are a specialist in all areas, therefore you will need to take a collaborative approach and manage external advisers and counsel as appropriate
We are looking for someone passionate about the law and risk management who can act as an an enabler to the business.
- Be a confident generalist with knowledge of both corporate and commercial law
- Have strong experience in private practice
- Have a deep understanding of commercial contracts and experience of advising on data protection, IP and liability issues
- Have excellent communication skills and ability to distill complex / arcane concepts into layman’s terms
- Have a genuine interest in the purpose of risk management and/or compliance
- Appreciate the delicate balance between risk management and revenue generation
- Be driven and able to work independently, and able to apply your existing knowledge and approach across a very wide range of legal (and quasi-legal!) areas
- Have a passion for technology and software
- Keep cool under pressure and maintain a sense of humour when working to tight deadlines
Useful but not essential.....
- Experience of working in Payments Industry (PCI)
- Good working knowledge of KYC and / or AML
- You’ve worked in a fast growing startup before
- Share options - everyone at Paddle is an owner in the business
- 25 days holiday
- Autonomy, excellent exposure to management, input into company direction, ideas and growth
- The best possible equipment - whatever you need to increase your productivity
- A close team with frequent team outings (food, drink, sports etc.)
- The opportunity to be part of a fast growing business, loved by an international base of clients
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.