Zencargo is the Digital Freight Forwarder with a vision of a world with smarter trade. Since launching the business in Q2 2017, co-founders Jan Riethmayer, Alex Hersham and Richard Fattal have successfully grown the business and now work with some of Europe’s fastest growing businesses. Zencargo recently raised a large Series A and is in rapid growth phase, with the team expanding to 80 people, including an office in Hong Kong.
Whilst shipping is a complex trillion-dollar industry, you might be surprised to know that many of the processes that could be simplified with technology are currently done over the phone, by fax and email or even jotted down on scraps of paper. This means that vital information is stuck in silos and requires manual action to funnel data to the relevant person. Zencargo is here to change this.
Zencargo have built a digital platform which is the central place for teams to manage the end-to-end operations and get real-time visibility into the progress of shipments, enabling Business Leaders to make decisions based on accurate data and implement strategies in seconds that improve Supply Chain efficiency.
Zencargo are backed by some of Europe’s leading Venture capital firms, Local Globe (Transferwise, Zoopla, Citymapper), HV Holtzbrinck Ventures (Zalando, Rocket Internet), Picus Capital (founded by Alex Samwer who co-founded Rocket Internet) and Samos Investments (Betfair, Ocado, Charlotte Tilbury).
Our journey so far:
The logistics market we’re looking to disrupt is $2 trillion in size, and we’re planning to expand into the adjacent $5 trillion market of trade financing soon. To do so, we’ve recently closed our series A, bringing our total funding to ~$20M. We’re backed by some of the top investors in Europe (Local Globe; Holtzbrinck Ventures). Our founders are successful repeat entrepreneurs, and we’re in the process of building out the leadership team with other top talent (ex-Goldman, Bain, Google). We’ve scaled the business from 3 to 80 people in 24 months, have moved into our new 5000 sq. foot office in central London, and are opening an office in Hong Kong, with Rotterdam to follow later this year.
Role overview: Head of Special Projects
- The candidate will be responsible for answering the most mission-critical strategic questions in our business
- The candidate will be fully empowered to drive these critical questions forward, working closely with the CEO and leveraging the full, cross-functional senior leadership team to do so
- There will also be a close working relationship with the Product Team, as many of the strategic questions straddle product.
- The most burning questions will include big picture topics (e.g., internationalisation; business model & service offering evolution, including SaaS, trade finance; competitive positioning and white space assessment) and more operational strategy requirements (e.g., sales strategy, certain product related questions, etc) - these topics will be huge drivers of value creation
- Candidate will have access to every part of the business, as well as exposure to investors and advisors
- Joining a fast growing startup in a senior role is the fastest way to accelerate your career
- The role will also allow for pulling in external resource when needed
- If you want to move into a senior operational at Zencargo role after ~ a year, we would support that
- Candidate should have 4+ years of consulting at a top tier Management Consulting firm
- MBA is not required, but likely given the experience profile we are looking for
- Heavy focus on strategy skills, but ideally with an understanding of execution
- Candidate will not be in the day to day firefighting of the business, but needs to be comfortable with being agile and jumping in and out of projects with little warning
- Knowledge of Supply Chain Solutions software (JDA, BluJay, E2Open, GT Nexus, etc)t and/or Transportation is not required, but any prior background in the space would be well received
- Startup experience not required, but would also be well received
- Well look for candidates with a history of stepping-up and out-performing in previous roles
- Competitive salary + equity
- Close working relationship with CEO & founding team - getting deep insights into a fast scaling startup
- Optionality to move into an operational role over time, or build out the strategy team
- Highly cross functional role
- Personal development budget, pension contribution and other benefits on offer