Welcome to Depop. We are the social marketplace where over 12M people come to buy, sell and discover unique items. Our mission is to empower creative minds by making our platform the place for the most vibrant communities in the world.
With headquarters in London, spaces in LA and New York, we have a team of more than 100 people dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience for our global communities. And we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for a Junior Data Scientist to join our Data team here at Depop. Within this role you will work on a number of projects to help Depop enhance our users’ experience. Your role will be to contribute to the delivery of machine learning projects inside the data team.
We’re currently helping build one of the most dynamic and well-funded startups in the London tech scene. Sound like your thing?
- Collaborating with teammates on all phases of the machine learning process
- Working closely with ML Engineers to develop services to deploy your ML models in production.
- Gather the requirements from the relevant product managers, design a solution, develop a proof of concepts/prototype, before scaling the solution to work with our 12 million users.
- Participate in team activities such as agile scrum planning, grooming and retrospective as well as journal club (paper research bi-weekly meeting) and analytics meetings.
- Experience designing machine learning algorithms (from your university degree or from a business)
- Strong knowledge of Python, in particular packages like pandas, scikit learn, numpy, scipy
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries
- Ability to design machine learning solutions to solve business problems
- Background in computer science, math, statistics, economics or related disciplines (UK MSc or equivalent)
- Ability to communicate complex problems to technical and non-technical audience, including a willingness to present at external functions (meet-ups, lunch and learn, conferences…)
- Ability to research machine learning techniques and develop prototype services
- Passion for learning new skills and staying up-to-date with ML algorithms
- Be a team player in our collaborative environment
- Experience with Scala programming
- Experience with Spark (Pyspark / Scala)
- Experience with Deep learning framework like Tensorflow/Keras/MXNet
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (for example, Athena, S3, Sagemaker)
- Experience and/or interest in e-commerce or fashion industry
- Experience working in an agile environment
We want to give our engineers the opportunity to learn and grow at Depop. So if youre keen to gain experience in another language or new area of engineering we can make it happen as part of your career journey with us.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, finish early Fridays, discounted gym membership, team nights out, yoga, meditation and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.