Diversity makes for innovative teams. LabGenius is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate based on gender, race, colour, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
LabGenius’ mission is to build an AI-driven platform for the evolution of new biological products.
Since the advent of life 3.8 billion years ago, the survival of all species has depended on rapid innovation at the genetic level. At LabGenius, were harnessing evolution to develop a new generation of biological products in partnership with world-leading multinationals.
LabGenius is a venture-backed startup founded by Dr James Field in 2012. We’ve raised >£4M in seed financing from top deep-tech investors to mature and automate ‘EVA’ - our AI-powered evolution engine.
About the role
We are looking for a specialist in the preparation and QC of samples and execution of sequencing workflows in short-read, high-throughput Next Generation Sequencing instruments. The successful candidate will work with our dynamic and highly motivated teams to drive the discovery and development of therapeutics for unmet medical needs. As part of our NGS team you will help to develop and run the link between protein display assays and our data modeling pipeline, ensuring that high-quality data is reliably produced.
- Strive to improve data quality and throughput by optimising established workflows from sample input to read output, or working to develop novel ones.
- Assist in planning the expansion of our internal sequencing capabilities to support our innovative asset pipeline.
- Work cross-functionally with the Protein Display and Data Modelling teams, contributing to the design of protein libraries and screening strategies that drive the development of novel proteins.
- Have the opportunity to contribute to other areas of the company, including patent filing, product strategy and help influence commercial direction, as part of our dynamic and multi-disciplinary R&D team.
- PhD / MSc / MRes in molecular biology, synthetic biology, genetics, biochemistry, or similar, or equivalent industry experience.
- Broad expertise in NGS library preparation and QC protocols, employing both off-the-shelf kits and custom strategies.
- Extensive experience with the day-to-day running of short-read, high-throughput NGS instruments (e.g., Illumina and IonTorrent), including independent troubleshooting of sequencing runs, to quickly and efficiently deliver the data required by other teams.
- Being comfortable with challenging yourself and acquiring unfamiliar scientific skills and knowledge.
- You work in a structured and methodical way - planning your experiments fully before entering the laboratory - and document your work thoroughly with strong attention to detail.
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator and are able to convey your ideas clearly to multi-disciplinary teams.
Nice to have:
- Previous work with production-scale Illumina systems (NextSeq and above), or with NGS systems from other manufacturers (IonTorrent, PacBio, Oxford Nanopore, etc), preferably employing laboratory automation.
- Use of UMIs / molecular barcodes in libraries and other strategies to reduce sources of bias in sample preparation.
- Experience in generation and analysis of amplicon sequencing data in directed evolution workflows.
- Experience of working in a cross-functional or matrix team.
Why join us?
- A grand, binding mission to change the way that biology is engineered.
- A cross-functional squad structure which will broaden your exposure to world experts in other cutting-edge fields.
- Company perks: flexible working arrangements, monthly 1-on-1 coaching from Sanctus, self-service learning budget via Sunlight, Wednesday team lunches from City Pantry, on-site gym and climbing wall, and Perkbox membership.
- Highly competitive salaries - reviewed twice a year - and generous options packages.
Please submit a cover letter along with your CV. Tell us why you will be excited to work at a fast growing start-up!