BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patient’s lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so lower drug development costs, decrease failure rates and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs to patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to Phase IIb in disease areas such as ALS, Parkinson’s, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
We have an exciting opening for a commercially-minded & pragmatic paralegal to join our Legal, IP & Compliance team and shape how we scale our support for the business. With prior experience of working in a high-growth technology or biotechnology company you will know what to expect, relish the challenge, and be ready to hit the ground running.
- First line of contact for drafting, reviewing and amending Non-Disclosure Agreements, Master Service Agreements, Statements of Work and other regularly used legal documentation;
- Providing general ad-hoc commercial legal support across the breadth of the business, including legal research;
- Streamlining existing processes, documentation and precedents and creating self-service tools for the business to enable the legal team to scale as the business grows and focus relentlessly on the highest-value, highest-impact work;
- Contract management – rolling-out and embedding a single unified contract management solution across the business;
- Supporting the IP and Compliance teams with ad-hoc legal input covering IP protection, licensing, data protection, business continuity and other compliance processes.
- Corporate governance – assistance with corporate filings, documentation and signature processes.
- Assisting in provision of regular training to the business and legal updates to the team.
- Undergraduate law degree from a common law jurisdiction, or non-legal degree with conversion.
- Completed Legal Practice Course.
Experience and skills:
- At least 6 months’ experience of working in an in-house legal environment in the technology or biotechnology sectors, preferably in a start-up or other high growth environment.
- A solid understanding of the key commercial legal issues facing a company such as BenevolentAI.
- A “can do” attitude and a willingness to learn and exist outside of your comfort zone.
- Interest, knowledge and experience of the technology and/or pharmaceutical industries and surrounding law and regulation is important but not as essential as a willingness to learn and being unfazed when there is no precedent to fall back on.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Evidence of a constant desire to drive for results and steadfastly pushing themselves and others for results.
- Making internal customers and stakeholders a high priority and understanding their needs and expectations.
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicine discover to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.