CDL is one of the UK’s leading insurance software houses, employing over 600 people at its campus in Stockport. It has a strong track record in the high volume retail insurance sector, with clients including Ageas Retail, Swinton Insurance, Tesco Bank, iGO4 and John Lewis, to name a few. CDL has spearheaded developments in the aggregator, web and telematics space, including connected home, enrichment and self-service solutions. As a result, the company’s robust and innovative technologies have enabled its customers to thrive in the highly competitive UK insurance marketplace.
You will lead, coach, support and drive the Product Owner team responsible for maintaining and prioritising the backlog for their domain expertise, and deliver high value items for new developments across CDL’s software portfolio. You will be a passionate ambassador of product ownership and making the product owner role the best it can be, by encouraging, leading and driving initiatives to grow the role and the individuals. You will be a key contributor to departmental and Company level meetings and an escalation point for product owner activity and initiatives
Strategic Objectives - Operate effectively with other CDL Managers to define and progress strategic objectives, initiatives and resolve escalated issues.
- Leadership - Take full ownership for the Product Owner team, ensuring work is resourced and managed, delivered to timescales, and to a high standard. Provide a single point of contact and escalation for all matters relating to product ownership across the Company, and to external clients.
- Staff Development – Assess team members’ performance on an ongoing basis, and completing PDR’s. Promote and maintain company standards. Ensure career progression is clearly defined at all levels. Lead the recruitment process, and direct the recruitment strategy.
- Communication – Participate in Product Owner Chapters, demonstrations and other events, and set up guilds when required to progress departmental initiatives.
- Individual Development – Take ownership of personal development, updating the PDR system and participating in the review process, including giving feedback to others when requested.
Skills and Experience
- Considerable experience of the Insurance Industry business practice
- Recent track record in rapid delivery of ideas and innovations to market in an Agile / Lean Start-up environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit and excellent knowledge and experience in stakeholder involvement, customer engagement, servant leadership, situational awareness
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for effective product backlog management and product planning in an agile environment.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment with an understanding of the Scrum framework
- Appreciation of self-organisation and experience in getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work
- Track record of continued and recent education in Product Ownership, Scrum, Insurance trends, through training, conferences, user groups, self-study
- Substantial IT work experience, with proven ability in team management and leadership
- First level Scrum Product Owner certification (PSPO I, CSPO)
- Degree level education or equivalent experience
- ILM or equivalent formal management qualifications.
Second or Third level Product Owner certification (PSPO II, PSPO III)
- Experience of being a Product Owner in a scaled Scrum environment
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile and Lean techniques: Impact mapping, Customer segmentation and Customer journey mapping, Story mapping, Business Model Canvas, Empathy mapping, Value proposition canvas, etc.
- Opportunities for career progression
- Award nominated learning programmes
- Work with the best in the business
- Flexible hours
- 25 days holiday to start
- Life and health assurance
- Shuttle bus to and from the station
- Subsidised restaurant
- Social activities
- Dress down policy
- Tax free child care vouchers
- Community projects