Diversity makes for innovative teams. LabGenius is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate based on gender, race, colour, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
LabGenius’ mission is to build an AI-driven platform for the evolution of new biological products.
Since the advent of life 3.8 billion years ago, the survival of all species has depended on rapid innovation at the genetic level. At LabGenius, were harnessing evolution to develop a new generation of biological products in partnership with world-leading multinationals.
LabGenius is a venture-backed startup founded by Dr James Field in 2012. We’ve raised >£4M in seed financing from top deep-tech investors to mature and automate ‘EVA’ - our AI-powered evolution engine.
About the role
We are looking for a product scientist with deep protein characterisation experience. The successful candidate will work with dynamic and highly motivated teams to drive the discovery and development of therapeutics for unmet medical needs. As part of our Protein Analysis team, you’ll help to push our groundbreaking candidate molecules through discovery and in vitro characterisation.
- Establish high-quality, high-throughput in-house characterisation assays for inhibitors of protein-protein interactions (PPIs)
- Work closely with the Data Modelling team to rank candidate molecules and design next-generation screening libraries
- Collaborate with the Commercial team to design product characterisation strategies, contributing to proposals for funding applications and commercial deals
Preferred candidates will embody passion for antibody and protein engineering through rational design and molecular evolution approaches. You’ll be part of our dynamic and multi-disciplinary R&D team and will have the opportunity to contribute to other areas of our platform, such as product discovery or development of automated workflows.
- PhD / MSc / MRes in biochemistry, biology, biophysics, or similar, or equivalent industry experience
- Deep expertise in characterising PPIs using a range of techniques, e.g. MST, ITC, SPR, BLI, SwitchSense
- Experience of developing, validating, and optimising high-throughput biophysical assays for inhibitors of PPIs
- Strong interest and experience in protein engineering
- Track record of scientific excellence demonstrated by high impact publications, presentations and/or grant applications, showcasing your innovation, communication, and problem-solving skills
- You work in a structured and methodical way - planning your experiments fully before entering the laboratory - and document your work thoroughly with strong attention to detail
Nice to have:
- Use of DoE software and liquid handling robots to design and set up high-throughput assays
- Experience of protein expression in bacteria / yeast / insect / mammalian cells, and purification using automated FPLC systems
- Have worked in a drug discovery / development environment, either in pharma or a biotech start-up
- Awareness of discovery, development and formulation of biologics
- Experience in the design, execution and delivery of long-term R&D projects
Why join us?
- A grand, binding mission to change the way that biology is engineered
- A cross-functional squad structure which will broaden your exposure to world experts in other cutting-edge fields
- Company perks: flexible working arrangements, monthly 1-on-1 coaching from Sanctus, self-service learning budget via Sunlight, Wednesday team lunches from City Pantry, on-site gym and climbing wall, and Perkbox membership
- Highly competitive salaries - reviewed twice a year - and generous options package