About the Role
pladis are well known within the FMCG world for our well-loved food brands such as McVitie’s, Jacob’s and Jaffa Cakes and now have an excellent opportunity for a Refinery Operator in Manchester.
Reporting into the Refinery Shift Coordinator, you will be responsible for the day to day running, maintaining equipment and evaluate the system for safety and efficiency. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is keen to learn and develop their skills technically. This role will suit someone who is confident liaising with people at all levels and is looking for a role that offers responsibility and development opportunities.
This role requires working on a 2 days 2 nights 4 off shift pattern (12 hours)
- Simultaneous running of up to 3 mixing and refining production lines and 3 conching lines
- Monitoring whole process from ingredients to finished product for potential problems and
- Alarm handling and prioritization of follow up actions to minimize downtime or stoppages
- Controlled start up, line/batch operation and shut down procedures as dictated by the plan or
other operational matters
- Calculations to ensure finished product batches receive correct QC additions to achieve
adherence to specification for FP tank.
- Communicating with team members concerning potential problems and scheduled tasks as
perceived from control screens
- Efficient and simultaneous running of up to 3 refining lines (7 refiners), including machine set up,
monitoring, manual running and cleaning
- Refiner alarm handling and prioritization to minimize downtime or stoppages
- Monitoring all plant in process hall & tank farm for correct operation
- Operation of various sack tip and IBC stations as production dictates
- Viscosity/yield tests at prescribed intervals and ad hoc.
- Sample collection ad hoc and scheduled, intermediate and finished product (using aseptic
techniques when required)
INTAKE and DESPATCH
- Control of chocolate dispatch into road tanker and other containers through 2 bays using automate
equipment and manual methods to ensure on time delivery to customers.
- Completion of all relevant documentation. Providing chocolate samples where required.
- Control of bulk/ intermediate and small ingredients intake. Including vehicle inspection, ingredient
inspection and sampling.
- Completion of all relevant documentation.
- Controlling the intake other goods (engineering/ sundries) and completion of all relevant
- Removal of refinery general and ingredient/ finished product waste to correct points and
controlling of waste container collection waste
- Complete plant safety assessment records, initiating and recording appropriate corrective action
- Adhere to, maintain and have input on all relevant Dynamic Safe Operating Procedures
- Report all plant and equipment damage/ faults promptly.
Complete plant safety assessment records & pre start checks, initiating and recording
appropriate corrective action
- Report all plant and equipment damage/ faults promptly.(raise SAP workorders)
- Report accidents and near misses in line with company procedures
- Adhere to production plan and relevant updates.
- Take appropriate action to minimise waste levels.
- Report breakdowns or engineering issues promptly.
- Maintain process records to the expected standard.
- Provide input into Refinery continuous improvement activities.
- Input data for management/shift communication, production recording and for goods movement.
- Complete all HACCP checks within specified times, initiate and record appropriate corrective
- Complete all processes and parameters checks to ensure processes are maintained within
- Complete metal detection checks and document, to standard, at correct frequency.
- Complete post-production/ pre-production checks to a satisfactory level.
- Provide input into Refinery HACCP team activity.
- Complete all HACCP ( tanker and ingredient integrity) checks within specified times, initiate and
record appropriate corrective actions.
- Comply with all applicable McVities Personnel policies: High Risk Allergen, Blood and Bodily
Fluids, Glass and Shatterable Plastic policies.
- Maintain the production areas in a clean condition by working to the applicable schedule
- Clear waste from plant promptly, record and dispose of it the correct manner in accordance with
the conditions of the Refinery PPC license.
Essential Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- PC Literate
- Food manufacturing experience
- Lean manufacturing experience
- Food Hygiene level 2
- Manual handling certification
- Health and safety qualification
- Demonstrate PACE behaviours at a Personal leadership level
- Comfortable working at height
Purpose Led - Energised by our promise to deliver happiness to the world with every bite.
Agile - Ever evolving, never satisfied and never standing still.
Collaborative - Works with others for mutual success, transparent, a win-win seeker
Positive - Self-motivated, optimistic, courageous and inspiring.
Resilient - Quick to adapt to change, fast learner and persistent in the face of setbacks.
In 2016, Yildiz Holding, CEEMEA’s largest food company, brought together its core biscuit, chocolate, and confectionery businesses; Godiva Chocolatier, United Biscuits, Ulker and DeMet’s Candy Company. We subsequently brought together our iconic brands; Godiva, McVitie's and Ulker, and formed pladis. This allowed us to combine three centuries of baking and confectionery expertise and together we form a $US5.2 billion business, positioning us as a global leader in the category.
We are a global biscuit and confectionery company with operations in 120 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and the Americas. pladis has 36 factories in 13 countries and employs 26,000. With a commitment to “promising happiness to the world with every bite”, we delight consumers with products in sweet and savory biscuits, wafer, cake, chocolate, gum and candy categories.